September 9, 2012

Rayven Rebarrel and Wiring Experiment


Those of you who read SGNerf's posts have probably heard that when you get above a certain voltage with the Rayven, your darts start sticking in the barrel. This is a demonstration of how I fixed that issue so I could use my blaster at higher voltages. Later, we'll see a new way to wire your Flywheel guns to (hopefully) achieve better ranges.

 I had to slice the barrel here so that the top of the gun didn't bulge out or push the barrel down.I also had to make some cuts at the bottom of the barrel to stop it from interfering with the trigger.
The cuts here make the barrel fit around the rectangular boxes.
I had to cut some plastic out here and on the other half of the shell

 Assembled and looking down the barrel
Finished product.
















Now to explain my experiment. I hooked my Rayven up to my old switch so that I could switch between series and parallel wiring for my motors. The gun comes wired in parallel, but I wanted to know what happened in series. Here's a summary of my findings.

1. In parallel, when one motor slows down, the other one does too. In series, when one slows down the other speeds up.

2. In parallel, both motors get 15v (in my gun). In series, each motor gets half the voltage, so 7.5v each.

3. In series, there's more torque. In parallel, there's more speed. Because of this, parallel gives better ranges.(50% better than series)

These findings got me thinking. My motors can handle 15v each. If I hook up 30v with series-wired motors, they'll each get 15v with more amperage. It should be able to handle the voltage without burning out and we should see extremely high ranges (More than 120' flat". When I get two more 9v batteries with battery clips, I'll test out this new system idea.

No comments :

Post a Comment